Saturday 13 September 2014

Lessons I have learnt church planting. The Place.

I have been involved in a few church plants: (starting new churches), Chertsey, Camberley, Farnham, Basingstoke and latterly supporting Slough and Borden. There are a few things I am still learning about church planting - firstly, the place. This is more than a perceived gap on a map where there is no church like ours. In my view an important strategy in church planting to discover what God is already doing in that location - what churches are there already? What are they like? What ministry are they involved in? Would they welcome another church? Before planting into a new location I recommend visiting and getting to know the church leaders of that location. Recently I have done that  in Newbury, Berkshire. As part of the exploration phase of church planting, Beverley and I had lunch with the church leaders of Newbury to talk about the possibility of a Commission church there. They were very appreciative of us coming in the front door.

No comments: