Saturday 30 August 2014

Does Aspergers Syndrome have cache?

I think I was stunned. I was hoping I had mis-heard. But no, it was true - I had just heard on BBC Radio 4 that a diagnosis of "Aspergers Syndrome was desirable, liberating and had cache". At first I thought "do they know anyone with Aspergers? Have they lived with someone with Aspergers? Have they spoken to a child or teenager who has Aspergers?" I am pretty sure they would not feel "desirable, liberated or having cache". Aspergers is a type of high-functioning autuism whereby social settings and communication is particularly challenging. Those with Aspergers (condescendingly called "Aspis" on the Radio 4 programme) need careful handling, a little more explaination to understand what is going on or required and a little more time to communicate and express themselves. Patience is the key is helping those with Aspergers. Cache? I don't think so. Patience and understanding, yes.

No comments: