Saturday 24 March 2012

How not to address a Bishop

The phone went yesterday. A member of my staff put the caller through - "The Bishop of Guildford" they said. I thought it was Boggles winding me up - who leads Centre Point Church Guildford. "Sorry" I said, to the caller, "I am just polishing my orb and adjusting my green pointed hat". "Actually" the caller said, "I am not holding an orb or wearing a hat. I am sitting here in my jeans and jumper!". It was Bishop Christopher - a thoroughly nice chap. Oh dear.
Christopher wanted to chat about Sarah Parish, a member of our church, who today in Guildford is commissioned by the Bishop as Chaplain to Surrey Police. I am very proud of her.
My last meeting with a Bishop, Christopher's predecessor - John, did not go so well either - whilst introduced to him in a line of Surrey Heath church leaders, I was suddenly overcome by his appearance: big ring, huge chain etc and inadvertently said: "Pleased to meet you Bishop Bling!"
How can I make it up to the bishop?

No comments: