Friday 30 March 2012

Finding God in the ordinary

I have been enjoying Richard Foster's book on Prayer and trying not to hurry through it as I am prone to do with books. The writer is very good at helping us to encounter God in our everyday ordinary lives.
"The discovery of God lies in the daily, the drab and the ordinary not in the spectacular and heroic" - great encouragement as most of us, most of the time live in the ordinary.
Brother Lawrence in his classic: "Practicing the Presence of God" enjoyed similar revelation:
"In the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons at the same time are calling for different things, I possess God in as great a tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the blessed sacrament".
Ignatius of Loyola said:"Everything one turns in the direction of God is prayer".
So it seem God values the ordinary and how we conduct ourselves through the ordinary - praying as we go - "praying with our lips, praying with our minds, praying with our hearts". Find God in the ordinary today.

No comments: