Monday 6 June 2016

Diary of a Church Planter - joining The Book Club

I like reading. I like reading all kinds of books and quite like talking about them, so as part of my getting to know people and bed into the local community I have joined a Book Club. Each month a book is chosen for us to read and we come back together to talk about it. Liz, who leads the Book Club, is very good at asking questions and involving everyone in the discussion. She is a teacher and knows how to do that sort of thing. What I find interesting and compelling, is that whilst we start talking about the book, rapidly the conversation becomes one of personal values, judgements and philosophy. For instance, whilst discussing George Orwell's 1984, the conversation quickly moved from the text to current geo-politics, the government is watching you and does the church control people...? I am also making new friends.

No comments: