Friday 6 July 2012

Help I'm turning into my mother!

Do you ever get that feeling that you are behaving just like your parents did - a reaction, a tone of voice, a habit? Do you fear a sickness your father had? Genetics and upbringing I'm afraid - not much we can do about it. That is our lot. Or is it? Recently I have been considering my upbringing and reflecting on the good and not so good and the affect it has had upon me even now. A number of sources have helped me in this: "The Emotionally Healthy Church" by Peter Scarezzo. Here the author recommends looking back at your family tree and identifying any familiar sinful traits and praying about them and if necessary renouncing them to be free of them. At the Father's Heart Conference recently too we were encouraged to do a family tree to identify sins, behaviours or illnesses which run through the family for generations. Were there any patterns? It was quite a revealing exercise. I found myself praying quite a lot, renouncing sins of my previous generations and also forgiving those who had behaved in a less than helpful manner. Very illuminating and releasing.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Hi Mark,
I really enjoyed reading about this. There are some deep spiritual principles going on here. We could do with more teaching on these areas. Have a great holiday.

Paul