Saturday 5 May 2012

News of the knee - final posting...1 year on.

This week I turned a corner with my year long battle back to fitness. Exactly one year ago this week I tore my knee cartilage playing football. The injury meant 6 months of pain and discomfort. Surgery in October has meant 6 months of physio and knee weakness. I am happy to report that this week I went football training for the firast time in over a year albeit just gentle jogging. I do not think my knee will ever be strong enough again for the rigours of 11-a-side football but I hope to manage at a more sedate level befitting a man of my advancing years! This week I also stepped back on the squash court for the first time in over a year for a gentle game with a friend. I still can not run but again jogged about happily enough and remembered thankfully how to hit a back hand corner boast drop shot. I am happy just to hit a squash ball again. So what have I learnt: Patience; the impact of a new kind of (sports) grief and loss; how great to NHS is: what an amazing body we have.

No comments: