Thursday 19 January 2012

Watching Handball in London


I watched Handball in London this week. Handball is like football in a sports hall. It is fast - very fast. It is also skillful and exhilarating. It is one of the ultimate team sports. Some of the top players in the country were there and I was seriously impressed. They were good. Very good. I felt like I was watching a herd of colourful gazelles in action. The change of pace, the speed of pass, the feint and dummy, the power, the practiced athleticism...
Phoebe also joined in and was quickly red of face and sore in hand!
I am often impressed with athletes who train hard and sacrifice a lot to be the best. I am similarly impressed with musicians, artists, dancers, singers who also practice, practice, practice. Anyone really who gives there all to their craft, art, skill, sport, parenting impresses me. I find it a joy to watch and a challenge.
What if we were all willing to give more, sacrifice more, go without more, focus more - how different would we be, how honed our skill, how different our body, how different our world...?

No comments: