Friday 25 February 2011

Westfield Shopping Centre

I couldn't put it off any longer. For months I had managed to avoid the inevitable. Excuses dripped off my tongue - "it's too far...I'm busy...why London?..." I had won temporarily again - until this week. We finally went to Westfield Shopping Centre in London. I lost the fight. Sorry guys.
It is all I suspected - a huge gleaming Cathedral to Consumerism. Over 300 shops seductively calling out: "Come inside, look, taste, touch, feel, spend. Spend more!". Relentlessly the goddess of shopping massages your brain, numbs your moral code, anaesthetises your bank balance and pampers to your whims and dreams. She is beautiful. She will make me beautiful. Her soft long fingers lure me but quickly become talons. She has gripped you. She's got you. You are hers.
From one place of worship to another she takes you: Holister, Puma, Gilly Hicks (I have teenagers!)..."you'll love this.." she purrs. And she's right of course - I do. I do. I will. Forever.
The music plays, the sun is setting. One last look over my shoulder. One last sigh. Until next time my love...

No comments: