Tuesday 6 April 2021

Review of The Dig, Netflix

I have to admit that when my wife suggested we watch the Netflix movie The Dig I was not filled with enthusiasm. No action, no stunts, no fights, no explosions, no car chases, no hero to save the world (I know, I am shallow). I knew enough about the Dig to know it is slooow... As it turns out I enjoyed The Dig. The photography and lighting are brilliant - worth watching the movie for on their own. Dreamy, misty Suffolk mornings are beautifully crafted. . Based on a true story about a wealthy widow wanting to excavate burial mounds on her land, Carey Mulligan and Ralph Fiennes are very watchable as the 2 main characters - Fiennes the excavator, Mulligan the widow. Themes of love, loss, homosexuality, war, facing a terminal diagnosis are all in here as is a masterful showing by Ben Chaplin aged 12 as the widow's son. Oh, did I mention there are no fights or explosions?!

No comments: