Thursday 16 July 2020

Book review: White Fragility by Robin Diangelo

Some books make you think; some books get under your skin; some books educate you; some books stay with you; some books annoy you; some books slap you around the face. White Fragility is all of those. And more. If you are white.
Robin Di Angelo can speak and write out of experience - she is an educator, university professor and diversity trainer in the US. She is very clever. And a bit cross.
The book has an academic American feel, but still speaks powerfully to a European context.
This is one of the books I wanted to read in my exploration of the complex issues of race. I knew it would do me good and teach me things. What I was not prepared for, was how uncomfortable I would feel reading it - as a white person. I admit that whilst reading, I kept thinking..."Oh my goodness...I had no idea...I think she's right."
I now want to say sorry, a lot. And learn more.
The author has a lot of good advice on the subject of racism including:
  • Build authentic cross-racial relationships
  • Take the initiative and find out on your own
I am still feeling a bit fragile...

No comments: