Tuesday 2 June 2020

Racism in my town...?

As a result of recent terrible events, I wanted to learn more about what it is like living in my town as a person of colour. Is their racism in my town? Have any of the people I know been victims of racism where I live? This was also partly born out of TD Jakes' comments on the weekend: "Silence is the worst enemy". I was challenged by that.
These are some of the comments from residents of colour in my town this week:
  • Racism is everywhere
  • You know it is there
  • It is woven into the fabric of British society
  • I have been subjected to racism at the station and at the petrol station
  • We experienced racism from the neighbours. That is partly why we moved
  • I have been called ...... numerous times
  • Young people make fun of my accent
  • My boss is racist
  • It is subtle here
  • We expect it
  • There is still the colonial attitude - the white man knows best, the black man has nothing to offer.
  • There is systemic inequality
  • I feel it all around me
  • Racism is embedded in the system
  • It is unconscious, with no ill-will
Those I spoke to also said they knew many lovely, warm, friendly white people in my town.

Jesus said: "Love thy neighbour".



1 comment:

Barchibald said...

I think what you have written Mark, is a good starting place. You were challenged, to act and from a platform of love. You started by asking and listening, within your parameters.
It’s interesting that the word for Compassion, as Jesus felt it, is not a passive word. It is a ‘bowel shaking, gut wrenching’ experiential word. Whenever we read that Jesus felt compassion, it was always followed by action.
This prompted me to reflect on Dr Martin Luther King Juniors words, when he said ‘ Darkness cannot drive out darkness,only light can do that.Hatred cannot drive out hatred, only love can do that.’