Friday 24 May 2024

A lesson in grief from a couple who lost a child...

I spent some time this week with a couple from London who lost their son. I wanted to learn, to understand, to know a few years on how they are...how they are coping with the loss and grief. I learnt a lot. Quite frankly, they are amazing: their poise, their continued faith, how they articulate their pain and healing journey. "You haven't turned from God...?" I asked. "God never changes", the father said, "He was the same before, He was at the same at the time. He is the same now. Why should I deny Him?" "Where has God been for you?" I asked the tender mother. "It is an intensely personal journey with God", she said. "And what should people not say to those in the midst of this kind of grief?" I asked. "Don't say he has become an angel or a star. That doesn't help", said the father. "Don't say anything", the mother said, "just sit with them". Sometimes being silent is just better.

No comments: